My mom use to make these cookies when she was little & lived in Wisconsin. Their neighbor Vonnie passed the recipe along to them.
I can remember when I was little Granny Jones making these cookies, my brother & I patently waiting for her to bring the cookie sheet over for us to start decorating. Each year we got older it would turn into more of a competition of who could decorate the best, we would get tooth picks out and make sure the sugar was perfectly placed.
Now it's our girls decorating the cookies & having a blast doing it. I cherish these moments of making Christmas memories. They keep getting better each year & I have a good feeling Milania next year won't steal dough, sprinkling sugar all over & eat the raw dough dipped in sugar.
Sugar Cookie Receipe Below
*this will also be our last time cooking in this kitchen before it's renovated in March & I wanted to capture those moments.
Vonnie's Rolled Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 egs (beaten)
- Cream sugar and Crisco. Add eggs & vanilla. Combine all dry ingredients in a sifter and sift into other mixture. Roll out on lightly floured surface and cut with cookie cutters. Decorate with colored sugar or icing.
- Bake 375 for 101-12 minutes
- If dough is to stiff to roll add a bit of milk